Church History

Throughout the past 149 years, God has graciously grown and blessed our church. We have had three different names but still "A Place To Call Home".

Caledonia Missionary Baptist of Christ
(September 1872- March 1915)

First met on September 1, 1872 at the Kellums School House

January 1893 Sunday School was formed

March 1893, Moved into our own building, located 1/4 miles west of Gholson

Gholson Baptist Church
(March 1915 - April 2001)

1936, The church relocated to its present location (228 Wildcat Circle)

1964, Five second story classrooms were added

1965, The church expanded its facilities to include three classrooms and a baptistry

1983, The parsonage was built

1986, The Fellowship hall/Activities Building was added

February 1994, The current sanctuary and remodeled original building was finished

First Baptist Church of Gholson
(April 2001 - Present)

January 2003, Helping Hands Food Pantry ministry was established

September 2004, Open Arms Clothes Closet ministry established

November 2004, Angel Food Ministries was begun

August 2005, The church's basketball court was completed

February 2011 The library was started under the direction of Mrs. Betty Dupree

November 2016 Current Fellowship Hall Completed


A special thanks to our former Pastors and Interims who have served our church:

Rev. Frank Vigus (May 1973-September 1978)
Rev. Frank Smith (January 1979- October 1979)
Rev. Gary Furr (November 1979- October 1980)
Rev. James Wilson (April 1981- July 1982)
Rev. Marvin Donnell (August 1982-April 1985)
Dr. Vaughn Weatherford (June 1985- April 1998)
Rev. Todd Gunter (July 1998- January 2000)
Rev. Brian Thornburg, Interim (February 2000-December 2001)
Rev. Brad Moore (January 2002 - July 2008)
Rev. Ron Durham, Interim (August 2008-September 2008)
Rev. James Stevens Jr (October 2008- present)


God is not finished with us yet. We are thankful that God is still using FBC Gholson in a mighty way. May we never forget Him!